There are now 2 possible online modes for units:
Units with modes Online timetabled and Online flexible are available for any student to self-enrol and study online.
Click on an offering mode for more details.
This unit offers an introduction to Italian grammar and vocabulary to allow students to communicate orally and in writing in simple situations. It develops cultural and linguistic awareness and focuses on contemporary spoken and written language used in Italy. Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Quadro Comune Europeo di Riferimento per le Lingue).
This unit leads to ITAL1402 Italian Studies 2. Together, ITAL1401 and ITAL1402 provide access to Level 2 and 3 Italian units, which not only increase language competency but offer the opportunity to further engage with Italian culture and history (including linguistics, literature and film) and to take advantage of a range of exchange possibilities, including our short-term Bergamo Summer School.
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 Online Online timetabled Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 Online Online timetabled Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the ITLNB Italian Studies major sequence
- Level 1 elective
Students are able to (1) develop elementary skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking in the ltalian language.; (2) be familiar with sociolinguistic conventions in Italian; (3) have an elementary knowledge of culture and society in Italian.; (4) develop independent learning skills and interpersonal skills; and (5) have an increased awareness of language and language use in both Italian and English.
Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) in-class and online tests; (2) oral activities; and (3) online and in-class engagement. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Student may be offered supplementary assessment in this unit if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Marinella Caruso
- Unit rules
- WACE Italian ITA 2A/2B or higher.
ITAL1101 Italian Beginners I
- Contact hours
- language classes: 3 hours per week (over 12 weeks, involves a mix of formal instruction by the tutor, class discussions, group and pair work on linguistic and cultural issues, and presentations)
- Please note that during the summer 2017 delivery, students will undertake the following assessment items: (1) in-class and online tests (60%); (2) oral activities (20%); and (3) online and in-class engagement (20%).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit, one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook one week prior the commencement of study. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Information on essential textbooks will also be made available on the Essential Textbooks. This website is updated regularly in the lead up to semester so content may change. It is recommended that students purchase essential textbooks for convenience due to the frequency with which they will be required during the unit. A limited number of textbooks will be made available from the Library in print and will also be made available online wherever possible. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus.
- Contact hours provide an indication of the type and extent of in-class activities this unit may contain. The total amount of student work (including contact hours, assessment time, and self-study) will approximate 150 hours per 6 credit points.
Face to face
Predominantly face-to-face. On campus attendance required to complete this unit. May have accompanying resources online.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit is asynchronous delivery, with NO requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit includes some synchronous components, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
Not available for self-enrolment. Students access this mode by contacting their student office through AskUWA. 100% Online Unit.
NO campus face-to-face attendance. All study and assessment requirements are online only. Unit includes some timetabled activities, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times. In exceptional cases (noted in the Handbook) students may be required to participate in face-to-face laboratory classes when a return to UWA’s Crawley campus becomes possible in order to be awarded a final grade.
No attendance or regular contact is required, and all study requirements are completed either via correspondence and/or online submission.
Regular attendance is not required, but student attends the institution face to face on an agreed schedule for purposes of supervision and/or instruction.
Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit.