There are now 3 possible online modes for units:
Units with modes Online timetabled and Online flexible are available for any student to self-enrol and study online.
Units available in Online Restricted mode have been adapted for online study only for those students who require the unit to complete their studies and who are unable to attend campus owing to exceptional circumstances beyond their control. To be enrolled in a unit in Online Restricted mode, students should contact their Student Advising Office through askUWA
Click on an offering mode for more details.
- This unit follows on from ITAL2405 Italian Studies 5. Students develop proficiency in spoken and written Italian and deepen their understanding of Italian society and culture. The unit leads to ITAL3407 Italian Studies 7.
The academic objectives of the unit are to (1) further improve reading and writing skills in Italian; (2) develop fluency and accuracy in conversing in Italian; (3) develop the ability to read and understand literary and non-literary texts in Italian from the nineteenth century to the present; (4) increase intercultural understanding; (5) increase awareness of the structures and use of the English language; (6) improve interpersonal communication skills in spoken and written Italian and English; and (7) attain a level between Level B1 and B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the ITLNI Italian Studies major sequence
- Level 2 elective
- Students are able to (1) read and write in Italian with accuracy and fluency; (2) converse in Italian with fluency and accuracy on contemporary themes; (3) read and demonstrate an understanding of modern Italian texts, and relate them to their social and historical context; (4) demonstrate an enhanced awareness of the structures and use of the English language; (5) engage effectively in interpersonal communication; and (6) Attain a level between Level B1 and B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) in-class presentations and written summaries; (2) class tests; and (3) class contribution and participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Student may be offered supplementary assessment in this unit if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Simon Tebbit
- Unit rules
- ITAL2405 Italian Studies 5
- ITAL2206 Italian Advanced II
- Contact hours
- language classes: 3 hours per week (over 12 weeks, involves a mix of formal instruction by the tutor, class discussions, group work on linguistic and cultural topics, and presentations)
Lists of texts are available from the European Languages and Studies web page.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit, one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook one week prior the commencement of study. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Information on essential textbooks will also be made available on the Essential Textbooks. This website is updated regularly in the lead up to semester so content may change. It is recommended that students purchase essential textbooks for convenience due to the frequency with which they will be required during the unit. A limited number of textbooks will be made available from the Library in print and will also be made available online wherever possible. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus.
Face to face
Predominantly face-to-face. On campus attendance required to complete this unit. May have accompanying resources online.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit is asynchronous delivery, with NO requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit includes some synchronous components, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
Not available for self-enrolment. Students access this mode by contacting their student office through AskUWA. 100% Online Unit.
NO campus face-to-face attendance. All study and assessment requirements are online only. Unit includes some timetabled activities, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times. In exceptional cases (noted in the Handbook) students may be required to participate in face-to-face laboratory classes when a return to UWA’s Crawley campus becomes possible in order to be awarded a final grade.
No attendance or regular contact is required, and all study requirements are completed either via correspondence and/or online submission.
Regular attendance is not required, but student attends the institution face to face on an agreed schedule for purposes of supervision and/or instruction.
Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit.