ITAL3407 Italian Studies 7
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the ITLNI Italian Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 3 elective
- This unit follows on from ITAL2406 Italian Studies 6 or ITAL2206 Italian Advanced I. It focuses on developing advanced skills in oral and written Italian through study of social and linguistic aspects of modern Italy. The unit leads to ITAL3408 Italian Studies 8. Students study advanced topics in Italian grammar; pay particular attention to the way prescriptive rules of grammar are realised in speech and writing in contemporary Italy; analyse the effect of register on grammatical usage; develop their awareness of the structures and use of the English language; further develop their ability to converse in Italian with fluency and accuracy on contemporary themes; and read a range of literary and non-literary texts, from a range of historical periods, in their social and historical context.
- Students are able to (1) read contemporary Italian with a high level of understanding of the 'linguistic' and 'cultural' meanings of texts; (2) demonstrate an understanding of spoken Italian in face-to-face situations and from screen-based sources; (3) express themselves with accuracy and fluency in spoken and written Italian; (4) integrate their language awareness with higher sociocultural knowledge by reading literary texts; and (5) attain a level of B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) in-class presentations and written summaries; (2) class tests; and (3) contribution and participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Vincenzo Savini
- Unit rules
- ITAL2406 Italian Studies 6
ITAL2206 Italian Advanced II
- ITAL3307 Italian Advanced III
- Contact hours
- language classes: 3 hours per week (over 12 weeks, involves a mix of formal instruction by the tutor, class discussions, group work on linguistic and cultural topics, and presentations)
Lists of texts are available from the European Languages and Studies web page.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.