ITAL3814 Sociolinguistics of Contemporary Italy
- 6 points
|Not available in 2019||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 option in the ITLNB Italian Studies; ITLNI Italian Studies; ITLNA Italian Studies major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 3 elective
- This unit examines issues in the social aspect of language in contemporary Italy. Students analyse how the language repertoire of modern Italy has been affected by rapid social and cultural changes and how those changes are reflected in the language itself. The unit examines the development of varieties of Italian, the enduring presence of the dialects and the language of minorities in Italy including immigrants.
- Students are able to (1) analyse changes in language choice in Italy, and explain these changes with reference to social and cultural changes in Italian society; (2) analyse changes in the Italian language and dialects, and explain these changes with reference to internal (linguistic) causes and external (non-linguistic) causes; (3) read and critically analyse research articles on Italian linguistic topics; and (4) use the Italian language in spoken and written form at Level B2/C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) tests; (2) critical analysis; and (3) research essay. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor John Kinder
- Unit rules
- ITAL2404 Italian Studies 4
ITAL2204 Italian Intermediate II
ITAL2406 Italian Studies 6
ITAL2206 Italian Advanced II
ITAL2408 Italian Studies 8
ITAL2208 Italian Advanced IV
approval of Convener;
ITAL2811 Italian Culture in Word and Image: from the Middle Ages to the Risorgimento (formerly ITAL2811 Italian Studies 11)
ITAL2812 The Shape of Italian: Communicating Between Worlds (formerly ITAL2812 Italian Studies 12)
- ITAL2227 Sociolinguistics of Modern Italy
- Contact hours
- lectures: 2 x 1 hour per week (over 10 weeks); tutorials: 1 x 1 hour per week (over 10 weeks)
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.