There are now 2 possible online modes for units:
Units with modes Online timetabled and Online flexible are available for any student to self-enrol and study online.
Click on an offering mode for more details.
This unit functions as a bridging unit for students in the beginners' Japanese major (MJD-JPNSB), providing the foundation for further developing their linguistic and cultural competency. The unit emphasises the four language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) equally and increases learners' effective communication skills to meet routine practical and social demands that are relevant to students at tertiary level. It introduces compound sentence structure and the colloquial register and covers practical functions such as requesting someone not to do something, offering advice and describing comparisons. Successful completion of this unit brings students to a point between the International Second Language Proficiency Ratings (ISLPR) Levels 1 and 1+.
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the JPNSB Japanese Studies major sequence
- Level 2 elective
Students are able to (1) engage in meaningful interactions with effective use of expressions in everyday social situations such as shopping, sightseeing, visiting a doctor, part-time jobs; (2) comprehend straightforward Japanese texts with the appropriate use of a dictionary and other resources; (3) write short compositions in Japanese on familiar topics; (4) read and write approximately 60 new kanji appropriately, and recognise some more without reference to a dictionary; (5) increase knowledge of Japanese cultural practices that are important for effective communication; and (6) acquire information literacy and management skills through a variety of media and search techniques including the use of a dictionary. Additionally, students refine generic skills such as understanding self and others, understanding of language in general, and critical analysis through learning to express their ideas and performing assigned tasks in Japanese.
Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) tests; (2) oral assessments; and (3) written examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Student may be offered supplementary assessment in this unit if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Kyoko Kawasaki
- Unit rules
- JAPN1402 Japanese 2
or JAPN1102 Japanese Beginners II
- JAPN2201 Japanese Intermediate Bridging
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- This unit is for beginners.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit, one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook one week prior the commencement of study. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Information on essential textbooks will also be made available on the Essential Textbooks. This website is updated regularly in the lead up to semester so content may change. It is recommended that students purchase essential textbooks for convenience due to the frequency with which they will be required during the unit. A limited number of textbooks will be made available from the Library in print and will also be made available online wherever possible. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus.
- Contact hours provide an indication of the type and extent of in-class activities this unit may contain. The total amount of student work (including contact hours, assessment time, and self-study) will approximate 150 hours per 6 credit points.
Face to face
Predominantly face-to-face. On campus attendance required to complete this unit. May have accompanying resources online.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit is asynchronous delivery, with NO requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit includes some synchronous components, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
Not available for self-enrolment. Students access this mode by contacting their student office through AskUWA. 100% Online Unit.
NO campus face-to-face attendance. All study and assessment requirements are online only. Unit includes some timetabled activities, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times. In exceptional cases (noted in the Handbook) students may be required to participate in face-to-face laboratory classes when a return to UWA’s Crawley campus becomes possible in order to be awarded a final grade.
No attendance or regular contact is required, and all study requirements are completed either via correspondence and/or online submission.
Regular attendance is not required, but student attends the institution face to face on an agreed schedule for purposes of supervision and/or instruction.
Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit.