KORE5002 Korean for Professionals 2
- 6 points
|Not available in 2020||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This postgraduate level language unit is a continuing unit to KORE5001 Korean for Professionals 1. It provides students further knowledge and understanding of basic Korean grammar and vocabulary in everyday and professional contexts at beginner level. Focusing on developing communication skills required in varied professional settings, the unit further develops confidence in listening, speaking, reading and written Korean. The unit is useful for broadening students' international outlook in professional contexts, and for developing independent learning skills to be applied in a professional context where the use of a foreign language and appropriate non-verbal intercultural communication skills are required. Further learning is supplemented by a number of contextual seminars in addition to language seminars, aimed at to preparing students for further independent language study.
- Students are able to (1) communicate in written and spoken Korean on everyday topics in limited every day and professional situations; (2) apply appropriate upper beginner-level Korean language to selected social situations; (3) further develop basic methods of analysis relevant to language learning, as well as research and problem-solving skills through analysis of language structures and through use of resource materials to solve problems of language form; (4) achieve further comparative understanding of language and language use, in both Korean and English and how these differ in every day and limited professional contexts; and (5) achieve further basic capabilities to approach research topics relating to Korean language and the histories, societies and cultures associated with the Korean language.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) examinations; (2) continuous assessment (including contextual seminars); and (3) oral presentation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Nicola Fraschini
- Unit rules
- KORE5001 Korean for Professionals 1
- KORE1402 Korean 2
- Contact hours
- language seminars: 4 hours per week over 6 weeks; online learning; Saturday block seminar (refer to the unit outline for further details)
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.