LAWS5508 Commercial and Company Law
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit is built upon the foundation of the Australian legal system. It examines the rights and potential liabilities associated with contemporary commercial decision making through the respective prisms of the law of contract, the law of tort, and corporations law—particularly as the law relates to the accounting profession. The exploration of this law includes both common law and statutory perspectives. The unit includes the development of Australian law business legal structures, the law of tort and the accounting profession, intention to create legal relations and formation of contract, implied and express terms of contract, vitiating factors in contract, breach and remedies in contract, Australian evolution of corporations law, limited liability and separate legal entity, debt and equity, directors' duties, rights and remedies of members, and financial reporting and disclosure.
- Students are able to (1) describe the key elements of the Australian legal system; (2) identify key features of contract formation and the discharge of a contract; (3) summarise the regulatory framework of corporations in Australia; (4) apply relevant rights and responsibilities stemming from the law of contract in the context of contemporary commercial decision making; (5) evaluate the tension between commercial risk-taking and the tort of negligence; (6) critically evaluate the legal challenges presented by the corporations law for the contemporary business professional; and (7) demonstrate legal reasoning by use of analysis and communication skills in a commercial context.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) essay and (2) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Rasiah Gengatharen
- Contact hours
- lectures: 3 hours per week
- This unit is for Master of Professional Accounting students only. It is not available to postgraduate law students, who should take LAWS5541 Corporate Finance and Securities Regulation (formerly LAWS8541 Corporate Finance and Securities Regulation) instead.
Turner, C. and Gamble, R. Concise Australian Commercial Law: Thomson Reuters 2013 (or latest edition)
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.