MGMT1136 Management and Organisations
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the Management; Human Resource Management major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Management and Commerce
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 1 elective
- This unit provides students with an introduction to the theories of management and organisations that underpin contemporary management practices in public and private sectors. Specific topics include the functions, roles and skills of managers; organisations and cultural diversity; globalisation and organisations; technology and the changing nature of work; organisational design; planning and strategy formulation; introduction to human resource management; managing innovation and change; communication and decision making; managing information systems and technologies; conflict and negotiation; leadership; motivation and ethics and social responsibility.
- Students are able to (1) contrast and compare theories of management and organisations, demonstrating an understanding of their historical development; (2) identify the key factors in the organisation's external and internal environment that impact on how managers and organisations work; (3) demonstrate an awareness of ethics, social responsibility and sustainability when managing people and organisations; (4) detail the major management functions and skills, including communication, human resources and motivation skills, and roles in relation to the management of people in organisations; (5) describe the process by which change is introduced into organisations and how innovation can be fostered; and (6) locate, utilise and reference a range of information sources proficiently.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation; (2) assignments; and (3) final examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Semester 1-Benita Hube, Semester 2-Dr Caleb Goods
- Unit rules
- MGMT2236 Management and Organisations
- Contact hours
- lectures/tutorials/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.