MGMT3346 Managing Organisational Change
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 option in the Management major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Management and Commerce
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- This unit introduces students to theories of organisational change and methodologies for managing organisational change in Australia. The theories include organisational development (OD); OD consulting; organisational transformation (OT); the impact of the environment on the organisation; and new wave contemporary theories. Methodologies include managing responses to change; creating readiness for change; and adaptive organisational strategies and capabilities. The theories and methodologies are reinforced through analysis of case studies designed to strengthen students' analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Students are able to (1) recognise the issues, problems and opportunities arising from organisational change; (2) demonstrate an understanding of various change theories, models and frameworks, their relevant foundations and strengths and weaknesses; (3) understand the skills and abilities required to be an effective change facilitator; (4) develop reflective and evaluative skills as change facilitators; (5) apply change models and concepts and research skills to real-life organisational change in a case study; and (6) identify the abilities and skills required to effectively facilitate innovation.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) tutorial participation ; (2) case study ; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Christopher Chalon
- Unit rules
- any two Level 2 units in the Management major
- Contact hours
- lectures/tutorials/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.