MGMT3347 Strategic Management
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||Albany||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 option in the Management major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Management and Commerce
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- This unit examines theories, models and analytical frameworks in the field of strategic management. Major themes include the concept of strategy, goals, values and performance, industry analysis, resources and capabilities, organisational structure and management systems, nature and sources of competitive advantage, cost advantage, differentiation advantage, life-cycle model, technology based industries and management of innovation, competitive advantage in mature industries, vertical integration and the scope of the firm, global strategies and multinational enterprise, diversifications strategies, multi-business strategies, and strategies for the future. Case studies and student projects provide opportunities to apply concepts learned, not only from this unit, but from other business and non-business units as well.
- Students are able to (1) explain the strategic management process through exposure to theoretical concepts and current developments in the field; (2) develop an appreciation of the organisation as an integrated system through extensive case analysis, encompassing a variety of concepts and theories covered in the class; (3) apply the unit's theories, frameworks and tools to identify key challenges, opportunities and solutions to organisational problems; and (4) apply critical thinking and analysis to make informed recommendations for the organisation's sustainable performance.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation ; (2) case study (20% individual, 25% group work); and (3) final examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Christine Soo
- Unit rules
- any two Level 2 units in the Management major; for pre-2012 courses: none
- Contact hours
- lectures/tutorials/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.