MIXD5005 Designing Social Research
- 6 points
If this unit does not have an online alternative, then students who are presently unable to enter Western Australia and whose studies would be delayed by an inability to complete this unit, should contact the unit coordinator (details given on this page) to ascertain, on an individual case-by-case basis, if alternate arrangements can be made to support their study in this unit.
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Multi-mode Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit. Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Multi-mode Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit.
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Honours core unit in Asian Studies [Bachelor of Arts (Honours)]
- Honours core unit in Geographical Sciences; Science Communication [Bachelor of Science (Honours)]
- This unit focuses on the design of social research for academic and applied purposes. It deals with the logic and methods of social enquiry, particularly the application of social research methods to a range of contexts and social problems. Students learn how to develop a research proposal for academic and applied purposes using a range of methods and perspectives.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate a critical understanding of the nature of social research; (2) demonstrate an understanding of the core concepts and varieties of social research methods; (3) develop a high quality research proposal; (4) develop independent scholarship and writing skills; and (5) develop a broad understanding of ethical research.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) research proposal outline; (2) participation and research presentation; and (3) research proposal. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Farida Fozdar
- Unit rules
- for the following postgraduate course students (International Relations, Strategic Communications, Asian Studies, International Development, Public Policy): completion of 24 points of their coursework, three core units and one option unit, and have achieved a 70 per cent WAM in those units; for other students: none.
- SOCS5003 Research Design (ID 5135) BUSN4403 Business Research Methodology (ID 1661) GEOG5550 Research Design (ID 6181) EDUC5631 Approaches to Research (ID 3078)
- Contact hours
- up to 30 hours
- Main Textbook:
- Creswell, JW &
- ?Other Reading:
Booth, W., Colomb, Gregory G, & Williams, Joseph M. (2009). The Craft of Reserach
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus. Copies of textbooks and other readings will be made available for students to access from the Library, online wherever possible as well as in print.