MSCI4006 Advanced Techniques in Molecular Sciences
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 4 elective
- Honours core unit in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; Chemistry; Genetics [Bachelor of Science (Honours)]
- This unit comprises modules on advanced techniques used in the molecular sciences. Students choose four modules relevant to their research projects. Each module consists of six contact hours of lectures and/or tutorials. Module topics include, but are not limited to, molecular structure (including visualisation, computer graphics and data analyses); methods in mass spectroscopy; nuclear magnetic resonance; variations of the polymerase chain reaction and their specific applications, including next generation sequencing methods; computational modelling; chromatographic methods; informatics; Python programming and scripting; X-ray diffraction. Modules are offered according to staff availability and student requirements. The main academic objectives are for students to gain an understanding of advanced, cutting-edge techniques used in their fields of study, and develop their skills in critical thinking, problem solving and quantitative analysis.
- Students are able to (1) describe advanced, cutting-edge techniques relevant to their field of study and the application of these techniques and (2) critically evaluate the advantages, power, and information that can be gained from advanced techniques as well as realise their limitations.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) quizzes; (2) presentations—poster or oral; and (3) essays. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Reto Dorta
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Master of Biotechnology (71580)
the Master of Health Science (71540)
the Master of Biomedical Science (71520)
Bachelor of Science (Honours) (BH004)
BIOC4003 Fundamentals of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II
undergraduate major in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Chemistry
- Advisable prior study:
- undergraduate major in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics
- Contact hours
- lectures and tutorials: 24 hours per semester
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.