MUSC1591 Music Large Ensemble 1
- 0 points
If this unit does not have an online alternative, then students who are presently unable to enter Western Australia and whose studies would be delayed by an inability to complete this unit, should contact the unit coordinator (details given on this page) to ascertain, on an individual case-by-case basis, if alternate arrangements can be made to support their study in this unit.
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Semester 2 UWA (Perth)
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the Music Studies; Music General Studies; Music Double Major major sequences
- Group music making is a core educational and experiential element of a major in Music. The Conservatorium offers a range of Large Music Ensembles which vary in size, duration and participation requirements each semester. Students enrolled in a variety of Music Practical Studies units (single instrument performance or composition) develop executive skills which are further demonstrated and enhanced by participation in a Large Music Ensemble. Satisfactory participation in these ensembles is a prerequisite for submitting for examination in the core Principal Studies or Practical Studies units.
- Students are able to demonstrate performance skills in large ensemble performance.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: participation in all rehearsals and performances. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the participation in all rehearsals and performances component.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Mr Andrew Foote
- Unit rules
- Contact hours
- varies according to projects, but typically 20 contact hours per semester with no additional workload
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The Conservatorium usually offers Orchestra, Wind Orchestra and Symphonic Chorus as approved large ensembles each semester. Students from all Music Practical Studies, Music Principal Studies and some Broadening Ensemble units rehearse and present a public performance.
Volunteer students are welcome to join with these ensembles subject to meeting audition requirements. Volunteer students should speak with the ensemble director prior to the start of each semester to determine suitability and, if approved, enrol in this unit.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus. Copies of textbooks and other readings will be made available for students to access from the Library, online wherever possible as well as in print.