MUSC2277 Electronic Music: Interactive Systems
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Not available in 2020 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 complementary unit in the Music: Electronic Music and Sound Design major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 2 elective
- This unit introduces concepts and techniques of live and interactive technologies for live electronic music, sound installation and game audio. Topics include interactivity, inter-device and network communication protocols, instrument building, sensors and micro-controllers, and game audio design. Applications of interactivity are explored through creative work, problem solving tasks and programming exercises. The unit concludes with a final project-the design and programming of one or more interactive musical devices or systems.
- Students are able to (1) transform data from complex midi controllers; (2) design custom software for complex interactivity with midi controllers and other external devices; (3) program custom software for complex interactivity with midi controllers and other external devices; (4) develop skills with programming environments for game audio design; (5) combine sound synthesis, sampling and programming to create effective interactive music systems; and (6) coherently and logically communicate creative/technical ideas and goals regarding musical interactivity in both written and verbal formats.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) project 1; (2) presentation; and (3) project 2. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Christopher Tonkin
- Unit rules
- MUSC2273 Electronic Music: Generative Processes
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):iPhone / Android app called TouchOSC $7.99 from the apple store or Android. Link here: https://apps.apple.com/au/app/touchosc/id288120394 (estimated cost - $7.99).
- Contact hours
- Up to 3 hours per week.
iPhone / Android app called TouchOSC
$7.99 from the apple store or Android.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.