MUSC2342 Music in Action
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the Music Studies; Music General Studies major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 2 elective
- This unit focuses on the study of music in and as performance. Students will hone in on questions related to the changing circumstances surrounding musical performance, including its underlying ideology, types of musical training, locations, and relationship to musical texts. They will consider how creativity in performances and interpretation can reinforce or change the meaning of a musical work. This unit will also consider different types of performances as spectacle and commemoration; and examine the ways in which the body is engaged in performative acts. Students will be supported to develop increasingly independent research and critical reading skills in this unit.
- Students are able to (1) identify a range of concepts and practices of musical performance, and position these in their historical and cultural contexts; (2) analyse and interpret musical performance practices and forms of reception across a range of traditions; and (3) critically engage with literature from the sub-disciplines of historical performance practice, cultural studies, historical musicology and sound studies.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) portfolio and (2) tests. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Cecilia Sun
- Unit rules
- Advisable prior study:
- Prior study in MUSC1340 Musical Revolutions is preferred but not mandatory.
Prior study in MUSC2341 Music and Practices of Listening is preferred but not mandatory.
If MUSC1340 and MUSC2341 have not been completed, students must have some musical literacy to complete this unit. If clarification is required, please contact the Unit Coordinator.
- MUSC2331 Western Art Music 1 (Renaissance and Baroque)
MUSC2332 Western Art Music 2 (Classical and Romantic)
MUSC3331 Western Art Music 3 (Modernist and Postmodernist)
- Contact hours
- seminars and tutorials: 2 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.