MUSC3522 Music Analysis in Theory and Practice
- 6 points
|Not available in 2020||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- This unit offers the opportunity for students to build upon the skills developed in MUSC1321 Music Language 1, MUSC1322 Music Language 2 and MUSC2520 Music Language 3, and gain experience in advanced analytical methodologies as applied to the theoretical study and its practical realisation of a range of selected musical repertoire. It offers instruction in methods of analysis appropriate to music of different historical periods, standard in the discipline, giving students a solid foundation upon which to base an independent analysis project. The topic of this project corresponds with their principal study area (performance or composition) in the Specialist Music Studies major. Depending upon the student's specialisation, the project work comprises either a combination of applied and written analysis or a written-only analysis. Assigned readings may include analytical models and texts, dealing with the analysis of form, structure, harmony and tonality in tonal and atonal Western art music.
This is an elective unit in the Specialist Music Studies major in the Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate knowledge and understanding of standard approaches to the analysis of Western art music; (2) demonstrate the capacity to investigate and express the essential elements of a musical work, either in a written or combined written/practical project, through one analytical approach; (3) demonstrate and incorporate analytical techniques and skills in written or performance/composition work; and (4) historically contextualise approaches to musical analysis.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) an independent written/practical research project; (2) tutorial assignments; and (3) tutorial participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr David Symons
- Unit rules
- MUSC2542 Practical Music 4
MUSC2402 Practical Studies 4
MUSC2525 Music Language 4
MUSC2520 Music Language 3
MUSC2202 Techniques of Music 4
- MUSC3210 Music Analysis (Tonal)
- Contact hours
- lectures: 2 hours per week; individual supervision: 2 hours per semester
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.