PHYS5434 Master's Dissertation—Medical Physics Part 4
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit is taken over two or three semesters and parts 1 to 4 must be completed to fulfil the requirements of the unit. Students can commence the unit in either semester one or semester two.
The 24-point unit consists of a research project and dissertation which, with the research proposal unit (PHYS5001, 6 points) and research presentation unit (PHYS5002, 6 points), comprises 50 per cent of the Master of Physics with the specialisation in Medical Physics.
The dissertation is based on an individual research project on a topic undertaken within one of the research groups in, or affiliated with, the Department of Physics. The main objective of the project and dissertation is to develop the students' independent research and analytical abilities, and their written and oral communication skills that have application not only to their specific field of research but also to a wide range of employment opportunities in government and industry. The research project also exposes the students to the working environment, methodology and techniques used by physicists in the student's chosen specialisation. It is expected that the project normally involves original research leading to the establishment of new knowledge in the field.
- Students are able to (1) develop skills in document preparation, data presentation and referencing. ; (2) independently apply research methods, including ethical considerations, to a specific research problem or topic. ; and (3) demonstrate high-level written communication skills..
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) research work assessed by all supervisors and (2) dissertation graded and ranked by a panel of report readers. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Pejman Rowshan Farzad
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Master of Physics (53560) with a specialisation in Medical Physics
- PHYS5002 Physics Research Presentation
Approved quota: 6—based on academic merit
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
Semester 2_2019 [SEM-2_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.