SAHE5322 Service Learning Aboriginal Health Unit 3
- 6 points
|Not available in 2020||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This is the third unit of four in the Scholarly Activity (Service Learning): Aboriginal Health stream. In this unit, students continue their engagement with the Aboriginal health or health-related organisation and (1) continue to contribute to the work of the organisation as an effective member of the team; (2) reflect on how basic sciences/clinical/professional knowledge obtained in the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program contribute to the organisation; (3) draw on their experience working with the organisation to develop reflective case studies that demonstrate their deep understanding of (a) personal accountability, strengths and weaknesses, (b) ethical issues arising from service, (c) leadership and responsiveness to community organisation direction, (d) a diversity of beliefs, values and cultures, (e) strategies to address health inequity, (f) provision of effective client and community-centred service, and (g) reciprocal learning and teaching; and (4) identify a critical issue that reflects the community organisation's priorities and apply an evidenced approach to addressing that issue.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate the ability to effectively contribute to the team within an Aboriginal health or health-related organisation; (2) provide convincing evidence of their ability to apply theoretical learning in a community organisational work environment; (3) demonstrate their ability to reflect on the effectiveness of their work within the organisation via a series of structured case studies; and (4) demonstrate the effective use of an evidenced approach to addressing an issue identified within the community organisation that reflects the priorities of the organisation or community connected to the organisation.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) continuous assessment through host organisation evaluation; (2) a summative written portfolio; and (3) a seminar presentation. There are no unit examinations. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Paula Edgill
- Unit rules
- IMED4211 Systems-based Learning 2
SAHE5312 Service Learning Aboriginal Health Unit 2
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.