SCIE5304 Science Practicum
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This work-integrated learning practicum placement unit enables Masters or Honours students to put into practice prior learning in their discipline. Students will work with academic and placement advisory staff to secure a placement and are expected to perform at a professional level and demonstrate high levels of applied competency in their discipline.
- Students are able to (1) apply the skills and knowledge gained in your academic studies to a relevant professional environment; (2) critically reflect on your professional development and skills gained through the practicum experience, including assessing performance relative to employer and personal objectives; (3) identify how to apply learned skills to future workplace settings; and (4) network with people working in your field and identify career opportunities in your discipline.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) oral presentations; (2) student placement report and self-assessment; and (3) formal placement assessment. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Dirk Zeller
- Unit rules
- enrollment in Master of Science Communication (51580)
the Master of Exercise Science (52510),
the Master of Environmental Science (72530),
the Master of Biological Science (72520),
the Master of Biological Arts (71530),
the Master of Agricultural Science (72510),
the Master of Biomedical Science (71520)
approval of the unit coordinator
Approved quota: Sem 1 - 6
TP2 - 10
Sem 2 10—students selected based on academic performance, written application and interview.
- Contact hours
- Contact hours in Practicum placement (the majority of student time in the unit) as arranged with the unit coordinator and host/supervisor. Additional, minor, contact hours for initial and post-placement discussions with coordinator, and final presentation and review.
Students may find application instructions and deadlines by visiting the Science Practicum webpage.
All reasonable effort will be made to assist students to find a suitable placement. In the case where one is not found, the student will be advised of this outcome prior to the last day to add a unit (in the given teaching period).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.