SRUR5331 Rural Specialisation—Research Unit 1
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period kalgoorlie Face to face Non-standard teaching period Albany Face to face Non-standard teaching period Broome Face to face Non-standard teaching period Bunbury Face to face Non-standard teaching period Busselton Face to face Non-standard teaching period Carnarvon Face to face Non-standard teaching period Derby Face to face Non-standard teaching period Esperance Face to face Non-standard teaching period Geraldton Face to face Non-standard teaching period Karratha Face to face Non-standard teaching period Kununurra Face to face Non-standard teaching period Narrigin Face to face Non-standard teaching period Northam Face to face Non-standard teaching period Port Hedland Face to face Non-standard teaching period Blackwood Warren Face to face
- Students commence an appropriately designed research project in an area of interest, under the supervision of a UWA Rural Clinical School academic staff member. In addition to commencing their research project, students prepare a literature review and a written research proposal where they place their study in the context of the available literature, formulate one or more hypotheses or research questions based on gaps in the available knowledge, design an appropriate research study to test their hypotheses or answer their research questions, and outline their study design, research methods and data analysis plan.
The project can be one of either clinical audit, systematic review, or independent research. The first assessment will be a wriitten assigment which may include a formal research proposal (including literature review) and/or submission to Human Research Ethics Committee, GEKO, or PROSPERO.
Students planning on undertaking research Masters or PhD programs in the future are advised to undertake independent research.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate the acquisition of basic skills and training necessary to undertake research in their chosen field; (2) critically review literature in their proposed field of research; (3) critically appraise research methodology; and (4) design a research project, outlining the study background and rationale, research questions, study design and data analysis.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) written assigment; (2) oral defence; and (3) professional behaviour assessments. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the professional behaviour assessments component.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Terri Pikora
- Unit rules
- IMED4222 Integrated Medical Practice 1 Part B
- Contact hours
- variable but there is regular contact with project supervisor
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.