SSEH3376 Coaching Psychology
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Not available in 2020 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 option in the Exercise and Health; Sport Science, Exercise and Health major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Life and Health Sciences
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- Students are introduced to the field of coaching and positive psychology and their history, scope and practice in Australia, and are acquainted with training, practice and research skills that are related to sport, exercise and health settings. Students are also familiarised with the psychological principles and mental skills that can enhance performance at all age and ability levels in a variety of performance environments. Students have the opportunities to present and coach mental skills to peers and receive constructive and critical feedback.
- Students are able to (1) acquire knowledge related to coaching psychology and positive psychology theory, history, scope and practice in Australia; (2) develop training, practice and research skills related to coaching psychology; (3) understand the psychological principles and mental skills that enhance performance; (4) acquire skills and abilities in methodologies to conduct independent research in coaching psychology; and (5) demonstrate the skill in using frameworks for 1:1 coaching.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) a group workshop; (2) coaching practicum and assignment; and (3) a final examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Ben Jackson
- Unit rules
- SSEH2270 Psychosocial Aspects of Sport, Exercise and Health;
a Level 2 PSYC unit
approval of the unit coordinator.
- Advisable prior study:
- a Level 1 unit in psychology, sociology
- Contact hours
- lectures 1 hour per week; tutorials 2 hours per week for 7 weeks from week 1
Cox, E. et al. The Complete Handbook of Coaching, 2nd edn: Sage 2014
Williams, J. M., ed. Applied Sport Psychology: Personal Growth to Peak Performance, 6th edn: Mayfield 2010
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.