SSEH5694 Research Colloquium
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit provides an in-depth examination of the literature pertaining to an approved topic selected by the student in consultation with a member of the academic staff. Normally, a major position paper is required as partial fulfilment of the unit.
- Students discuss with their academic supervisor and determine the specific outcomes and assessment components of the unit. These outcomes may include (1) an extensive review of the literature on a particular topic and, in consultation with the supervisor, the production of a comprehensive review or position paper; (2) 120 hours of placement within an organisation to understand the structure and function of that organisation and industry, as well as the various roles undertaken by professionals within that structure, leading to the provision of a major report for both the supervisor and host organisation; (3) if the student is currently employed in a related industry—selection of a research topic, in consultation with the academic supervisor, to be carried out within the students' organisation and leading to the provision of a major report for both the supervisor and host organisation; and (4) other relevant activities, as agreed in consultation with the academic supervisor.
- This is advised by the unit supervisor and will reflect the specific outcomes determined for each student.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- individual unit supervisors
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Bachelor of Exercise Rehabilitation Science;
postgraduate study in Sport Science, Exercise and Health;
the Graduate Diploma in Sport and Recreation Management (51390);
the Graduate Diploma in Work Health and Safety (52330);
the Master of Exercise Science (coursework (52510);
the Graduate Diploma in Exercise Rehabilitation (50380)
- Advisable prior study:
- relevant background in field of study (approved by the Head of School)
- Contact hours
- as advised by supervisor
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
Semester 2_2019 [SEM-2_2019]
- This unit is recognised by the University as a service learning unit. Service learning refers
specifically to community engagement activities that are embedded in units of study, being structured
and assessed as formal educational experiences.
Fortnightly attendance at the School's Higher Degree and Ethics Committee meetings is expected.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.