STAT2401 Analysis of Experiments
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 complementary unit in the Data Science major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Mathematical and Physical Sciences
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Science students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This unit introduces the principles of randomised experiments and practical quantitative tools for analysing the data from such experiments. The emphasis is on choosing and applying appropriate methods, rather than technical details and formal inference. Topics include controlled experiments versus observational studies; different experimental designs—confounding, misinterpretation; biases—blinding and randomisation; and analysis—linear regression, linear models and analysis of variance.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate skills in the statistical analysis of data from designed experiments and observational studies; (2) apply the fundamentals of designing random experiments in different situations; (3) articulate the use of linear models; (4) develop and apply linear models for data from real-world experiments and studies; and (5) proficiently use a statistical computer package for linear modelling.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) assignments; (2) tests or quizzes; and (3) a final examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor John Lau
- Unit rules
- STAT1400 Statistics for Science
STAT1520 Economic and Business Statistics
MATH1002 Mathematical Methods 2
MATH1012 Mathematical Theory and Methods
MATH1020 Calculus, Probability and Statistics (students enrolled in the Master of Data Science may take one of these units as a co-requisite)
- STAT2227 Applied Linear Modelling
- Contact hours
- lectures: 2 hours per week; labs: 2 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.