SWSP5601 Theory for Practice
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit incorporates an examination of recent developments in social work and social policy theory and practice models, and a critical assessment of the current social, political, economic and cultural context of social work and social policy. The content and structure are negotiated according to individual/collective needs and interests.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an advanced familiarity with relevant literature; (2) achieve a high level of critical awareness of themes, issues and debates relevant to the area; (3) relate concepts, theories and research to their practice experience; and (4) apply their learning directly in their practice and research settings where relevant.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) essay and (2) presentation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Susan Young
- Contact hours
- 30 hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.