TRNS5509 Specialised Translation 2: French
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- The main purpose of this unit is to provide practical training to students for their future career as professional translators. The unit introduces and explains practical techniques used for translation through a consideration of questions of genre, style and presentation. A variety of different types of text are studied.
- Students are able to (1) understand the importance of genre, style and presentation in a range of text types; (2) acquire essential techniques and skills to translate a variety of texts as above between French and English; and (3) make important preparations for their future careers as bilingual and/or multilingual professionals.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) a translation assignment and (2) an in-class translation test. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Paul Gibbard
- Contact hours
- 24 hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.