VISA1050 Art of Visualisation and Recording
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 option in the Fine Arts major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 1 elective
- This unit investigates introductory concepts and means of producing visual journals or art diaries. The process of keeping a journal which contains written, collaged and sketched visual material is both a personal and intellectual way of engaging with everyday activities, thoughts and emotions. The unit exposes students to methods of recording and creatively extrapolating thoughts in the visual journal by employing graphic media. Students develop practical skills to assist with the process of learning to record, correlate and develop their creative thoughts.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate their ability to articulate and analyse effectively a basic knowledge of the critical contexts of creative practice; (2) engage in recording digital materials and media to experimentally represent their ideas that are evident to an understanding of aesthetics within the framework of visual culture; (3) demonstrate through practice and theory the basic skills and understanding of digital photography, autographic recording, note taking, sketching, collage and various printmaking processes; and (4) express a working knowledge of visual order and visual categorisation suitable for introductory design and design appraisal within an academic framework.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) a series of introductory projects and journal; (2) presentation of final project development; and (3) presentation of final project studio outcomes with support documentation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sarah Douglas
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):Fine Arts consumables (estimated cost - $75-$350).
- Contact hours
- studios: 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.