There are now 2 possible online modes for units:
Units with modes Online timetabled and Online flexible are available for any student to self-enrol and study online.
Click on an offering mode for more details.
- Please visit the WIL Placements and Internships page for more information about the WIL program. This unit is not available for self-enrolment, as students must first secure an internship/placement which is a component of the unit. Enrolment in a WIL unit is not guaranteed. Students must determine their eligibility for a WIL unit and then submit an expression of interest by the published deadline in SoniaOnline. Enrolments in WIL units are subject to approval by the University. A student who withdraws from a WIL placement after confirmation of placement with the host organisation will be declared to have failed the unit unless the School is satisfied that there were exceptional circumstances to justify withdrawal.
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
Students are able to (1) demonstrate adoption of appropriate professional conventions, as appropriate to the placement; (2) apply communication and interpersonal skills to a working situation; (3) apply theoretical knowledge and frameworks in a working situation; and (4) reflect on and evaluate their performance in a professional context.
Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) work placement hours and timesheets; (2) reflection report; and (3) career planning activities. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the reflection report component.
This unit is assessed on an ungraded pass/ungraded basis. All assessment items must be successfully completed.
Student may be offered supplementary assessment in this unit if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Philip Hancock
- Unit rules
- Master of Strategic Communications students: completion of 24 points of post graduate units and approval from the unit coordinator.
All other postgraduate students:completion of 36 points of post graduate units and approval from the unit coordinator
- Contact hours
- 150 hours for pre-placement, placement and post-placement activities
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit, one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook one week prior the commencement of study. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Information on essential textbooks will also be made available on the Essential Textbooks. This website is updated regularly in the lead up to semester so content may change. It is recommended that students purchase essential textbooks for convenience due to the frequency with which they will be required during the unit. A limited number of textbooks will be made available from the Library in print and will also be made available online wherever possible. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus.
- Contact hours provide an indication of the type and extent of in-class activities this unit may contain. The total amount of student work (including contact hours, assessment time, and self-study) will approximate 150 hours per 6 credit points.
Face to face
Predominantly face-to-face. On campus attendance required to complete this unit. May have accompanying resources online.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit is asynchronous delivery, with NO requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit includes some synchronous components, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
Not available for self-enrolment. Students access this mode by contacting their student office through AskUWA. 100% Online Unit.
NO campus face-to-face attendance. All study and assessment requirements are online only. Unit includes some timetabled activities, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times. In exceptional cases (noted in the Handbook) students may be required to participate in face-to-face laboratory classes when a return to UWA’s Crawley campus becomes possible in order to be awarded a final grade.
No attendance or regular contact is required, and all study requirements are completed either via correspondence and/or online submission.
Regular attendance is not required, but student attends the institution face to face on an agreed schedule for purposes of supervision and/or instruction.
Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit.