WILG5002 Professional Development Practicum B
- 6 points
(see Summer Timetable)
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face Summer teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Within the context of the student's master's degree program, this unit provides students with the opportunity to apply, develop and critically reflect upon the skills they have acquired into a professional setting. Under the guidance of the unit coordinator, and as future professionals, students are expected to take an active role in the identification of potential work placement opportunities. Content and assessment for the unit include training in the requisite skills for securing such placements along with reflective learning on the transferable skills developed within both academic and professional experiences.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate adoption of appropriate professional conventions, as appropriate to the placement; (2) apply communication and interpersonal skills to a working situation; (3) apply theoretical knowledge and frameworks in a working situation; and (4) reflect on and evaluate their performance in a professional context.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) pre-placement tasks; (2) in-placement tasks; and (3) post-placement tasks. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Peter Robinson
- Unit rules
- Master of Strategic Communications students: completion of 24 points of post graduate units and approval from the unit coordinator.
All other postgraduate students:completion of 36 points of post graduate units and approval from the unit coordinator
- Contact hours
- 150 hours for pre-placement, placement and post-placement activities
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
Non-standard teaching period [TS-SUMM-C_2019]
Non-standard teaching period [TS-U-4_2019]
- Students wishing to undertake this unit must obtain permission to enroll by visiting the Professional Experience Practicum website: https://uwa.careerhub.com.au/students/workflows/detail/30 and submit an intention to enrol by the published deadline for the desired teaching period. Faculty officers determine whether or not a student has satisfied prerequisite requirements and is able to accommodate Professional Development Practicum within their academic plan for that nominated teaching period.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.