Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
- GCertEng Graduate Certificate in Engineering (24 points)
- GDipEng Graduate Diploma in Engineering (48 points)
(2) A student who withdraws from the Master of Professional Engineering course before completing it, but after completing units to the value of 24 points, may apply to the Faculty to be awarded the Graduate Certificate in Engineering.
(3) A student who withdraws from the Master of Professional Engineering course before completing it, but after completing units to the value of 48 points, may apply to the Faculty to be awarded the Graduate Diploma in Engineering.
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
8.(1) Subject to (2), to make satisfactory progress in a calendar year a student must pass units to a value of at least half the total value of units in which they remain enrolled after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.
Award with distinction
13.(1) Students are required to complete at least 12 weeks practical experience (GENG5000 Professional Practicum*), comprising at least 8 weeks in an engineering environment with up to 4 weeks in a general environment, as approved by the Faculty.
* Students do not enrol in the professional practicum units. Upon successful completion, the appropriate unit is added to their enrolment and result released together with the results for their other enrolled units for the semester.
** To facilitate their efforts, students should seek advice from members of the Faculty and register with the Careers Centre.
(3) The Faculty may, on written application by a student and on production of satisfactory evidence, accept work completed by the student prior to acceptance into the course as fulfilling the requirements of (1).
14. Where a student has completed relevant studies in a course accredited by Engineers Australia, the Faculty may permit or require a student to substitute for units specified under the course structure (except common course core units) up to a value of 24 points, units of equivalent value from the course structure (except common course core units), providing that no more than 48 points are completed at Level 4.