Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The http://handbooks.uwa.edu.au/postgraduate/student-procedures'>student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3.(1) To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the http://www.governance.uwa.edu.au/procedures/policies/policies-and-procedures?method=document&id=UP16/5'>University Policy on Admission: Coursework, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
(3) Applicants presenting with the IELTS Academic require an overall score of at least 7.5, a minimum score of 7.0 in the Reading and Writing bands, and a minimum score of 8.0 in the Listening and Speaking bands.
(5) Applicants presenting a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) require an overall grade of B or above, with a score of 'exceptional' for listening and speaking, and at least 'good' for reading and writing.
(6) Applicants with qualifications gained wholly in English from countries other than Australia, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America must provide evidence of English Language Competence in accordance with the requirements of the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia.
(c) at least one year of the bachelor's degree relevant to one or more learning areas in the Early Childhood or Primary school curriculum for applicants who wish to major in Early Childhood or Primary Teaching respectively;
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
- 30330 Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (non-articulated) (48 points)
- 31520 Master of Teaching (96 points)
- SP-TCHEC Early Childhood
- SP-TCHPR Primary
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
8. To make satisfactory progress in the year in which a student is enrolled in a Professional Practice unit the student must, in addition to passing units to the value of at least half the total points value of units in which they are enrolled, pass the Professional Practice unit(s) in which they are enrolled.
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
10.(1) Students who pass the Professional Practice unit(s) but do not pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units in which they are enrolled are assigned the progress status of 'Suspended' and are not permitted to re-enrol for a period of one year.
(2) Students who pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units for which they are enrolled but who fail a Professional Practice unit are, if the Committee described in Rule 13 so recommends under that Rule, assigned the progress status of 'Excluded' and are 'Excluded' from further study in the course.
(3) Students who do not pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units for which they are enrolled and who fail a Professional Practice unit are assigned the progress status of 'Excluded' and are 'Excluded' from further study in the course.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.
Award with distinction
Credit for previously completed work
13.(1) The Faculty may grant credit for units in the Master of Teaching with Early Childhood specialisation course or the Master of Teaching with Primary specialisation course, excluding the Professional Practice units*, up to a value of 24 points on the basis of previously completed units of study.
Failure to pass a Professional Practice unit
(3) If the Faculty permits a student to repeat a Professional Practice unit, it will determine whether the unit is to be repeated in the same or a subsequent year taking into consideration the student's overall performance in the course concerned.
15.(1) All students are required to pass a test of Teacher English Language Competency Skills, to demonstrate literacy skills within the top 30 per cent of the population, as required for professional registration.
Professional Practice readiness
16.(1) If a student does not pass the literacy testing and/or an assessment item in any of their enrolled core units, or are not meeting the necessary level of professional conduct, the student is required to attend an interview to review their readiness to go on a professional placement. If they are considered not ready to attempt a placement, they are withdrawn from the practicum unit with the expectation of re-enrolling and completing it in a later teaching period.
(d) Where resubmission is approved, the reassessed mark is capped at the assessment pass mark, unless an application for mitigation is approved in accordance with the University Policy on Assessment: Special Consideration (UP11/23).