Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The Student Rules apply to students in this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
(3) For the Environmental and Agricultural Biotechnology specialisation, an applicant must have successfully completed Chemistry ATAR, or CHEM1003 Introductory Chemistry equivalent, as recognised by UWA
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
- 73380 Graduate Diploma in Biotechnology (48 points)
- 73280 Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology (24 points)
(2) A student who withdraws from the Master of Biotechnology course before completing it, but after completing 48 points, including at least four core units, may apply to the Faculty to be awarded the Graduate Diploma in Biotechnology.
(3) A student who withdraws from the Master of Biotechnology course before completing it, but after completing 24 points excluding conversion units, with at least 12 points of core units, of which a minimum of 6 points must be degree core
, may apply to the Faculty to be awarded the Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology.
7.(1) The course consists of units to a total value of 96 points (maximum value) which includes conversion units to a value of 24 points, course core units and specialisation units. The course comprises the following specialisations:
- SP-AQTCH AQUAtech
- SP-BCHMB Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- SP-ENVBT Environmental and Agricultural Biotechnology
- SP-GENOM Genetics and Genomics
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
8. A student who does not pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units for which they are enrolled, or who fails the same unit twice, will not have made satisfactory progress.
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.
Award with distinction
Research project or dissertation
(iv) Students in the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology or Genetics and Genomics or Environmental and Agricultural Biotechnology or AQUAtech specialisations who were required to complete SCIE4404 Techniques in Molecular Sciences must have achieved a mark of at least 70% in this unit.