- Current rules
- Bachelor of Music (Honours) (BH009)
1. These rules are the Bachelor of Music (Honours) (Honours) Course Rules.
2. The Glossary provides an explanation of the terms used in these rules.
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
3.(1) The Student Rules apply to students in this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
4.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in an undergraduate degree course of the University for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module), Communication and Research Skills (the CARS module) and Indigenous Studies Essentials (the ISE module) in the teaching period in which they are first enrolled.
(2) A student must successfully complete the ACE module within the first teaching period of their enrolment. Failure to complete the module within this timeframe will result in the student's unit results from this teaching period being withheld. These results will continue to be withheld until students avail themselves of a subsequent opportunity to achieve a passing grade in the ACE module. In the event that students complete units in subsequent teaching periods without completing the ACE module, these results will similarly be withheld. Students will not be permitted to submit late review or appeal applications regarding results which have been withheld for this reason and which they were unable to access in the normally permitted review period.
(3) A student who has previously achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module, the CARS module or the ISE module is not required to repeat the relevant module.
English Language competency requirements
5. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
6.(1) To be considered for admission to this course an applicant must have a Bachelors Degree with relevant undergraduate major, or equivalent as recognised by UWA. Selection based on WAM potentially calculated on Level 3 units only will apply.
Admission ranking and selection
7. Where relevant, admission will be awarded to the highest ranked applicants or applicants selected based on the relevant requirements.
8. Course transfers are not permitted in this course.
9.(1) The Bachelor of Music (Honours) consists of 48 credit points, including:
(a) at least 24 credit points (normally 4 units) at Level 4 and/or Level 5; and
(b) at least 24 credit points (normally 4 units) of Dissertation or equivalent units at Level 4 and/or Level 5; and
(c) at least 12 credit points (normally 2 units) of the 48 credit points are undertaken at Level 4.
(2) Students must select an honours specialisation from the following:
10.(1) To make satisfactory progress a student must pass all units in which they remain enrolled after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.
(2) For the dissertation component of the honours degree course the relevant board determines whether satisfactory progress has been made having regard to the report of the student's supervisor.
(3) A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) in one or more of the ACE module, the CARS module or the ISE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress.
11.(1) A student who makes satisfactory progress is assigned the status of 'Good Standing'.
(2) Unless the relevant board determines otherwise because of exceptional circumstances
(a) a student who does not make satisfactory progress under Rule 10(1) or (2) is assigned a progress status of 'Excluded';
(b) a student who does not make satisfactory progress under Rule 10(3) is assigned a progress status of 'On Probation' unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Excluded' for failure to make satisfactory progress under Rule 10(1) or (2).
12. Applicants are not permitted to defer admission to this course and are expected to commence their course in the offered intake only. Applicants seeking admission to an alternative intake must submit a new application for that intake.
Final honours classification
13. The final honours classification is awarded in accordance with the University Policy on: Assessment.
- Bachelor of Music (Honours) (BH009)