EDUC5461 Languages Other Than English (LOTE) Curriculum I
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit gives an overview of Languages Other Than English (LOTE) in the secondary school curriculum; the principles of, and developments in, language teaching and learning; the development of micro and macro skills in listening and speaking; and the use of teaching aids, text evaluation, student assessment, lesson planning and teaching strategies.
- Students are able to (1) display an awareness of the developmental needs and interests of adolescent learners in LOTE; (2) develop an understanding of different orientations and theoretical frameworks of the subject; (3) demonstrate a repertoire of teaching and learning strategies relevant to the secondary LOTE curriculum; (4) display a detailed understanding of the current Western Australian LOTE Curriculum; (5) plan and evaluate various instructional sequences (lesson plans and programmes) for effective and engaging learning; (6) evaluate and develop instructional resources for secondary LOTE, including information and communication technology (ICT) and other educational technologies; (7) acquire an understanding of effective assessment practice in LOTE through the planning of assessment tasks; (8) develop an awareness of diverse student learning needs through the planning of differentiated learning; and (9) demonstrate a developing proficiency in engaging students from diverse social and cultural contexts and with diverse literacy and numeracy capabilities.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) lesson planning; (2) preparation of a teaching program; and (3) micro teaching. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the preparation of a sequence of lesson plans, a learning program, and professional conduct components.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Angela Evangelinou-Yiannakis
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Graduate Diploma in Education
Master of Teaching (Secondary)
- Advisable prior study:
- at least two Level 1 and two Level 2 units in one of the language subjects taught in schools including Japanese, French, German, Indonesian, Chinese and Italian
- Contact hours
- 30 hours
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.