HART3340 Materialist Avant-Garde Film
- 6 points
|Not available in 2020||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 option in the History of Art major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- This unit investigates the historical development of a progressive film experiment that examined the unique material properties of the film medium and infused progressive cultural thinking in its works. The issues of the film avant-garde are discussed in relation to global technological developments in the cinema, the theoretical speculation of contemporary art and the evolving problem of exhibition and distribution. The objectives of the unit are to investigate an area of the film avant-garde that instil knowledge of the cultural, social and technological relations that mediate this form of cultural practice in order to enhance the student's ability to research and communicate an effective theoretical analysis of the subject.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the historical and cultural progression of the film avant-garde that focused upon material exploration and the perceptual circumstances of exhibition; (2) display an ability to make correlations between trans-historical works and to synthesise forms of analysis that makes relationships between the film avant-garde, technological development and other areas of critical cultural discourse and art; (3) analyse the specific nature of cinematic exhibition and in relation to other forms of art and the dissemination of cultural values within those practices; (4) integrate art historical research techniques in the development of written texts that infuse the critical discourse surrounding avant-garde film practice and provide a fresh theoretical analysis of the subject; (5) enhance written and spoken communication skills within reflective comparative examinations of key works from the film avant-garde; and (6) develop substantial connections between the film avant-garde and the broader cultural milieu.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) short essay; (2) research paper; and (3) seminar presentation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Peter Mudie
- Unit rules
- at least one Level 2 unit from the History of Art major sequence
- VISA3340 Materialist Avant-Garde Film
- Contact hours
- lectures: 2 hours per week; seminars: 2 hours per week
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.