SPAN2403 Spanish Studies 3
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the Spanish Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- This unit is designed for students who have completed SPAN1402 Spanish Studies 2 or who have equivalent knowledge of the language. It develops the students' ability to communicate in Spanish by providing intensive practice in oral and written language, and enriches students' understanding of the cultures of modern Spain. The unit leads to SPAN2404 Spanish Studies 4.
Students achieve and consolidate their language proficiency at Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate competency in spoken and written Spanish that enables them to be confident users of the language in most situations they are likely to encounter in everyday life; (2) produce a narrative text (oral and written) using basic temporal structures and refer to future events using appropriate verb tenses; (3) describe, make comparisons, suggestions and requests; (4) demonstrate comprehension of texts from contemporary literary and non-literary sources; (5) demonstrate an increased awareness of how language works in general (metalinguistic skills); (6) recognise key historical, social and cultural aspects of Spanish society; and (7) demonstrate interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to work effectively in pairs and small groups.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) in class tests and online exercises; (2) class participation; and (3) an end-of-semester examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Anna Gadd
- Unit rules
- SPAN1402 Spanish Studies 2
- Contact hours
- interactive lectures: 1 hour per week; language classes: 2 hrs per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.