ARCT5502 Independent Design Research
- 12 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- The Independent Design Research unit aims to train and assess students' abilities to contribute to the future development of their disciplines through research that extends existing knowledge and/or through the creative application of knowledge in ways likely to impact upon future thinking in their fields of study. Study is based on independent research rather than taught coursework and the learning and assessment practices intentionally parallel those of postgraduate research studies. Independent Design requires the development of a comprehensive design brief that provides clear communication of project objectives, constraints and opportunities. As well, students establish theoretical parameters (aesthetic, critical and/or technical) that form the basis for design investigation. While projects may vary in scale, and exhibit varying levels of complexity, students are required to incorporate the full range of knowledge and skills required for a fully resolved design proposition. Projects of an experimental nature are encouraged.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate the capacity to develop a coherent architectural project brief; (2) respond effectively to the requirements set out in the project brief; (3) develop a sound theoretical basis and a high conceptual and design quality; (4) demonstrate technical resolution consistent with the nature of the project; and (5) clearly and effectively communicate design ideas..
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: Final folio, including project brief and written exegesis. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Kate Hislop
- Unit rules
ARCT5201 and the submission of a design proposal to the satisfaction of the unit coordinator;
the completion of at least 48 points of study; and
a current weighted average mark in the Master of Architecture of at least 70 per cent.
- Advisable prior study:
- Students should be in the final 48 points of the Master of Architecture course to enrol in this unit.
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):Studio Consumables (estimated cost - $75-$350 per semester).
- Contact hours
- Generally one hour per week during the semester, through individual supervision.
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.