ARCT5580 Advanced Architectural Animation
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Online-TT
- This unit explores the use of computer visualisation as a representational medium of unbuilt works of architecture. It focuses on modelling and representing light, texture, surface and site. It introduces animation, techniques in post-production and the composition of renderings and animations with live footage and other computer graphic material.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an understanding of virtual modelling, rendering, animation, virtual reality environments and outputting (printing, animation formats); (2) learn physical model making, robotic milling and laser cutting; (3) understand the transmission of instructions between virtual and real techniques in an interactive design process; and (4) produce precisely detailed models of compositional and constructional complexity.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) storyboard and drawing set: interim folio and (2) animation: final folio. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Craig McCormack
- Contact hours
- 36 (workshops: 12 x 3 hours per week)
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
Reading materials are provided for enrolled students online.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus. Copies of textbooks and other readings will be made available for students to access from the Library, online wherever possible as well as in print.
- If this unit is offered as on-campus face-to-face study only, students who are presently unable to enter Western Australia and whose studies would be delayed by an inability to complete this unit, should contact the unit coordinator (details given on this page) to ascertain, on an individual case-by-case basis, if alternate arrangements can be made to support their study in this unit.