ARTF1054 Drawing Foundations
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 complementary unit in the Fine Arts major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 1 additional unit in the Fine Arts second major sequence
- Level 1 elective
- This drawing unit welcomes students from all disciplines and is structured in such a way that it caters to those who have no or limited prior drawing experience as well as to those who wish to advance their existing skills. This unit explores drawing as a fundamental process in the development and communication of ideas. Undertaking structured studio workshops supported by online learning content, students will acquire the foundational skills necessary to begin developing a competent and engaging visual language. The unit introduces a range of practical methodologies for observation and recording as well as experimental, conceptual, process-based and non-representational approaches to mark making. Students produce a folio of in-class and independently produced drawings followed by a dedicated drawing project with supporting research and critical documentation. This unit may involve working at off-campus locations so that students have the opportunity to learn ‘in situ'. Drawing Foundations is a complementary unit for students enrolled in the Fine Arts major.
- Students are able to (1) competently utilise a range of skills relevant to drawing in response to set tasks; (2) exhibit evidence of skill development in the field of drawing; (3) investigate the inventive application of concepts and processes in drawing; (4) demonstrate an expanded awareness of image-making possibilities through the exploration of a variety of concepts, media, materials and practices relevant to drawing; and (5) communicate information and ideas effectively in written, oral and creative modes.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) creative work; (2) written work; and (3) oral presentation(s). Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Andy Quilty
- Unit rules
- VISA1054 Art of Drawing
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):Fine Arts consumables (estimated cost - $75-$350).
- Contact hours
- Up to 4 hours per week.
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.