BIOL5443 Honours in Biological Sciences Research Dissertation Part 2
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 1||Albany||Face to face|
|Semester 2||Albany||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 5 elective
- Honours core unit in Botany; Conservation Biology; Marine Science; Zoology [Bachelor of Science (Honours)]
- Dissertation units are taken over two successive semesters and parts 1 to 4 must be completed to fulfil the requirements of the dissertation. Students can commence part 1 in either semester one or semester two. Parts 1 to 4 of the Research Dissertation are the application and iterative refinement of the BIOL4441 Honours in Biological Sciences Research Development unit. They encompass the 'active' component of the research project—the laboratory work, interviews, measurement, field work, analysis of data gathered from the experimental phase of the research project and development of an interpretative discussion of the findings. The units are conducted under the guidance of the supervisor and with feedback provided in the final seminar presented in the unit BIOL4446 Honours in Biological Sciences Research Presentation Skills . The units culminate in the submission of the completed research paper for evaluation.
- Students are able to (1) present their scientific investigation in a written report; (2) identify key findings and to choose relevant information for communication; (3) identify key findings and to choose relevant information for communication; and (4) demonstrate expertise in the methods of science appropriate to the subject of research.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: continuing assessment. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit rules
- enrolment in Botany, Conservation Biology, Marine Science
Zoology specialisation in the Bachelor of Science (Honours) (BH004)
Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) (BH005)
- BIOL4441 Honours in Biological Sciences Honours Research Development, BIOL5442 Honours in Biological Sciences Honours Research Dissertation Part 1
- Contact hours
- independent research and study plus regular meetings with supervisors
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.