BIOL5553 Masters in Biological Sciences Research Dissertation Part 2
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 1||Albany||Face to face|
|Semester 2||Albany||Face to face|
- Dissertation units are typically taken over two successive semesters and parts 1 to 4 must be completed to fulfil the requirements of the dissertation. Students can commence part 2 in either semester 1 or semester 2. Parts 1 to 4 of the Research Dissertation are the application and iterative refinement of the BIOL5551 Masters in Biological Sciences Research Project Development unit. They encompass the 'active' component of the research project—the laboratory work, interviews, measurement, field work, analysis of data gathered from the experimental phase of the research project and development of an interpretative discussion of the findings. The units are conducted under the guidance of the supervisor and with feedback provided in the final seminar presented in the unit BIOL5556 in Biological Sciences Master Research Presentation. The units culminate in the submission of the completed research paper for evaluation.
- Students are able to (1) develop and describe careful and appropriate design of experiments and selection of method to address rigorously formulated questions and hypotheses; (2) identify key findings and choose relevant information for communication; and (3) demonstrate expertise in the methods of science appropriate to the subject of research.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: continuing assessment. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Jan Hemmi and Dr Amanda Ridley
- Unit rules
- Enrolment in the Master of Biological Science (72520)
(a) the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of level 3 units in a relevant undergraduate major;
(b) the equivalent of a UWA weighted
average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of levels 3, 4 and 5 units completed within the course.
- BIOL5551 Masters in Biological Sciences Masters Research Project Development, BIOL5552 Masters in Biological Sciences Masters Research Dissertation Part 1
- Contact hours
- independent research and project work plus regular meetings with supervisors
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.