CHEM1003 Introductory Chemistry
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 1 Albany Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 complementary unit in the Physiology; Pathology and Laboratory Medicine major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Life and Health Sciences
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 1 elective
- Topics covered include the structure of matter, chemical reactions, solvents and organic chemistry. An elementary discussion of atomic structure and the bonding of elements to form compounds is given. Further development requires a discussion of the mole concept. This leads to a study of chemical reactions, with discussions on oxidation and reduction, acids and bases, energy changes in reactions, reaction rates and chemical equilibrium. There is an introduction to organic chemistry.
- Students are able to (1) understand principles and concepts related to the structure of matter, chemical reactions, solvents and organic chemistry; (2) acquire basic practical skills in (a) demonstration, manipulation and use of chemicals and standard laboratory apparatus; (b) predicting the outcome of simple chemical reactions; (c) recording and analysis of experimental measurements and procedures; and (3) gain skills in scientific writing, problem solving, critical analysis and teamwork, as well as basic research skills.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) an end-of-semester examination; (2) online quizzes based on lecture material; and (3) laboratory work, which includes pre-laboratory work and worksheets completed in the laboratory. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Reto Dorta (Semester 1) and Dr Dino Spagnoli (Semester 2)
- Unit rules
- This unit is not available to students who have a satisfactory performance (scaled score of 50 per cent or more) in Chemistry ATAR or WACE Chemistry 3A/3B or TEE Chemistry, or equivalent.
- Contact hours
- lectures: 3 hours per week; labs: 18 hours per semester (unsatisfactory attendance and/or performance at the laboratory sessions leads to a laboratory mark of zero)
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- This complementary unit for the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major and Genetics major and option unit for the Chemistry major is only required if the student has not completed WACE Chemistry. Students must achieve a mark of 70 per cent or greater for this unit to be a valid option in the Chemistry major.
Blackman, Southam, Lawrie, Williamson, Thompson, Bridgeman, Chemistry Core Concepts, 2nd Edition, Wiley ISBN: 9781742467078
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.