CHIN1402 Chinese 2
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the CHNSB Chinese Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit follows on from CHIN1401 Chinese 1. It builds on previous knowledge of the Chinese language and improves aural comprehension and fluency in spoken and written Chinese. The unit covers a range of basic vocabulary and sentence patterns enabling simple effective spoken and written communication in everyday life in China on topics students are familiar with. Successful completion of this unit brings students to the ISLPR Level 1 (International Second Language Proficiency Ratings) or New HSK Level 2 (New Chinese Proficiency Test) or CEFR A2 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- Students are able to (1) develop a 'basic transactional proficiency' in Chinese which means that students have learned about 400 characters, 350 words or short phrases, and 100 sentence patterns; (2) develop basic skills of speaking and listening, can initiate and sustain simple conversations, understand simple texts and write short series of sentences on very familiar topics; and (3) acquire a number of generic skills such as knowledge, awareness and understanding of differences as well as the similarities between cultures and societies.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation; (2) workbook and oral presentation; and (3) examination (oral and written). Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Liyong Wang
- Unit rules
- CHIN1401 Chinese 1
CHIN1101 Chinese Beginners 1
- CHIN1102 Chinese Beginners II
- Contact hours
- 4 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 2_2019 [SEM-2_2019]
Non-standard teaching period [TS-SUMM-G_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.