DENT4233 Restorative and rehabilitative sciences 3
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit will provide an introduction to clinical dental practice. Students will perform a comprehensive oral clinical examination, produce individualised plaque control and caries management plans and execute supra-gingival prophylaxis, as well as restore teeth requiring 1 or 2 surface restorations. The Personal and Professional Development module will cover the areas of patient management, patient relations including ergonomics, ethics, diversity, professionalism and simulation of setting up a private practice.
- Students are able to (1) module 1 - Apply the infection control and other mandatory protocols in clinical dental practice; (2) module 1 - Perform a comprehensive oral clinical examination; (3) module 1 - Produce and deliver to the patient individualised plaque control and caries management plans; (4) module 1 - Execute supragingival prophylaxis; (5) module 1 - Restore teeth requiring 1 or 2 surfaces restorations; (6) module 2 - applying the theoretical knowledge on patient management in the clinical setting; (7) display professional behaviour in the educational and clinical settings,; (8) discuss challenges to professionalism and reflect on professional behaviours in the clinical setting; (9) display critical and insightful self-reflection of their own personal values, wellbeing, personal difficulties and professional performance; and (10) respond to professionalism challenges and insightful self reflection by implementing effective management strategies.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) clinical assessment SLO1,2,3,4,5; (2) written assessment SLO 6; and (3) professional behaviour assessment. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the clinical assessment (Failed Component) SLO1,2,3,4,5 component.
Supplementary assessment is available in this unit. Supplementary assessment is available for students currently enrolled in the unit who obtain a mark of 45 to 49 overall and a mark of at least 45 in any Failed Component(s)
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Mario Ferrari
- Unit rules
- Enrolment in Doctor of Dental Medicine 90860 and either DENT4122 Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences 2
(IMED3003 Body systems and disease III
IMED3004 Body Systems and Disease IV)
- DENT4221 Diagnostic and surgical sciences 3, DENT4231 Restorative and Rehabilitative Sciences 1
DENT4232 Restorative and Rehabilitative Sciences 2
Approved quota: 56—50 domestic, 6 international
50 domestic includes high academic achievement direct pathway 24 places, indigenous entry, rural 3 places and standard pathway graduate applicants 20.
- Contact hours
- Lecture slot 1 hr
Clinic slot 3 hr
Practical slot 3 hr
- Unit Outline
- Non-standard teaching period [TS-B-3_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.