DENT5402 Integrated Dental Practice 1
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit provides students with the opportunity of quasi-independent practice of general dentistry in preparation for graduation. This unit continues in Semester 1 with DENT5403 Integrated Dental Practice 2.
- Students are able to (1) consolidate their knowledge of comprehensive care and clinical competencies through quasi-independent practice under limited supervision in metropolitan Dental Health Services Clinics and the Oral Health Centre of Western Australia (OHCWA); (2) display professional behaviour in the educational and clinical settings,; (3) discuss challenges to professionalism and reflect on professional behaviours in the clinical setting; (4) display critical and insightful self-reflection of their own personal values, wellbeing, personal difficulties and professional performance; and (5) respond to professionalism challenges and insightful self reflection by implementing effective management strategies.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) portfolio; (2) case presentation; (3) clinic; and (4) Professional Behaviour Assessment (failed component). Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the case presentation and clinic components.
Supplementary assessment is available for students currently enrolled in the unit who obtain a mark of 45 to 49 overall and a mark of at least 45 in any Failed Component(s).
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Poh Hun Loh
- Unit rules
- DENT5301 Microbiology, Oral Pathology and Temporomandibular Disorders; DENT5302 Research, Dental Public Health and Oral Implantology; DENT5303 Complex Oral Rehabilitation 1; DENT5304 Child and Adolescent Comprehensive Oral Care 1 and Orthodontics; DENT5305 Special Needs Dentistry and Orofacial Pain; DENT5306 Introduction to Dental Practice, Maxillofacial Infections and Trauma; DENT5307 Complex Oral Rehabilitation 2; DENT5308 Child and Adolescent Comprehensive Oral Care 2 and Research
- DENT5401 Research and Options 1; DENT5403 Integrated Dental Practice 2; DENT5404 Australian Indigenous, Rural and Remote Oral Health 1
Approved quota: 56—domestic (50) and international (6). For school leavers—rural (3), Metropolitan Pathway (3), Indigenous (3), high academic achievement (5), international (3). For graduates—rural (2), Metropolitan Pathway (2), Indigenous (2), international (3), graduates (30).
- Contact hours
- Unit hours: 95 clinical hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.