DENT5603 Dental Research Methodology
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit covers critical analysis of research papers and examines the strengths and weaknesses of research designs. Students gain expertise in using online information resources and managing references, preparing research funding applications, research reporting, data management and journal article writing in refereed journals. Students identify critique and synthesise the literature. Students identify requirements and write a research plan, and determine resources and funding sources for research. The requirements and guiding documents for research ethics are considered. The unit uses a variety of modes of learning and is structured to encourage students to be active and independent learners in a supportive learning environment. Some work is performed as group activities and other work is completed as individuals, reflecting how work on many research projects is undertaken.
- Students are able to (1) describe and plan the main steps in a research project; (2) describe the use of frameworks and experimental models; (3) use skills in research design to design a project; (4) collate, critically appraise, integrate and write a review of the literature (including non-journal sources); (5) identify appropriate biostatistics questions to be considered in a research study and demonstrate working knowledge of basic biostatistics; (6) use statistical programs for simple research design and handling of data; (7) prepare data and plan analyses; (8) write a clear and thorough research proposal and format for an ADRF/APRF grant application; and (9) write an ethics application with an understanding of appropriate guidelines.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) assignment 1; (2) assignment 2; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Omar Kujan
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry 90840
- PUBH5757 Clinical Epidemiology (formerly PUBH8757 Clinical Epidemiology)
- Contact hours
- lectures/tutorials: 2 hours per week
Key reading material is made available to students through CMO (Course Materials Online) and LMS (Learning Management System). Students may need to seek out other resources for assignments.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.