DENT6875 Oral Pathology Theory III Part 2
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 Oral Health Care Centre of WA (OHCWA) Face to face Semester 2 Oral Health Care Centre of WA (OHCWA) Face to face
- This is the third-year theory unit in Oral Pathology in the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry course. The unit is taken over two semesters and parts 1 and 2 must be completed to fulfill the requirements of the unit. Topics are covered via seminars, literature reviews, journal clubs, clinic-pathologic conferences, and clinical laboratory sessions. This course will focus on the highest level of oral pathology knowledge.
- Students are able to (1) evaluate, synthesise and apply the literature and diagnostic techniques relevant to general and oral pathology; (2) demonstrate advanced problem-solving and diagnostic skills; (3) demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of oral pathology through discussion, interpretation and evaluation in written and oral presentations; (4) interpret original research; (5) define and demonstrate the responsibility of being a practitioner in oral pathology; (6) provide clinical leadership; and (7) use effective communication skills with colleagues, patients and the broader community.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) oral exam (OSCE); (2) case based (CbD); and (3) written examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Norman Firth and Dr Omar Kujan
- Unit rules
- Contact hours
- lectures/seminars: 12 hours per week (average)
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
Kumar, V., Abbas, A. K. and Aster, J. Robbins Basic Pathology, 9th edn: Elsevier
Barnes, L. Surgical Pathology of the Head and Neck, volumes 1, 2, 3: Informa Health Care
El-Naggar AK, Chan JKC, Grandis JR, Takata T, Slootweg PJ. (eds) WHO Classification of Head and Neck Tumours: IARC 2017
Odell, E. W. and Morgan, P. R. Biopsy Pathology of the Oral Tissues: Chapman and Hall
Regezi, J. A., Sciubba, J. J. and Jordan, R. C. K. Oral Pathology, Clinical—Pathologic Correlations: Saunders
Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine
Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Radiology
Head and Neck Pathology
Head and Neck
Journal of Clinical Pathology
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.