DENT6912 Dento-Maxillofacial Radiology Clinical Practice III (Part 2)
- 12 points
|Availability||Location||Mode||First year of offer|
|Not available in 2020||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This is the third year clinical practice unit in Dento-Maxillofacial Radiology in the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry course. The unit is taken over two semesters and parts 1 and 2 must be completed to fulfill the requirements of the unit. The unit involves the comprehensive examination, diagnosis and management of patients that have been referred to the Oral Health Centre of Western Australia. Areas covered are:
Advanced radiological interpretation: Differential Diagnosis of Paranasal Sinus Pathology
Advanced Radiological Interpretation: Differential Diagnosis of Salivary Gland Pathology
Advanced Radiological Interpretation: Implant Planning
Principles of Advanced Medical Imaging and Interventional Radiology
- Students are able to (1) analyse and choose the most appropriate type of radiographic examination and take the necessary radiographs (cone beam computed tomography and ultrasonography included); (2) evaluate and report on the radiographs taken, including recommendations for the clinician if appropriate; (3) evaluate and refer patient to medical imaging when appropriate; (4) display professional behaviour in the educational and clinical settings,; (5) discuss challenges to professionalism and reflect on professional behaviours in the clinical setting; (6) display critical and insightful self-reflection of their own personal values, wellbeing, personal difficulties and professional performance; and (7) respond to professionalism challenges and insightful self reflection by implementing effective management strategies.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) written assessment; (2) ongoing Clinical Assessment
; (3) practical assessment; and (4) professional behaviour assessment (failed component). Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Johan Aps
- Unit rules
- DENT6911 Dento-Maxillofacial Radiology Clinical Practice III (Part 1)
- Contact hours
- clinical teaching hours: 5 x half day clinic sessions (3 hours) per week (on average)
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.