EDUC5519 Contemporary Reforms in Education
- 6 points
|Not available in 2020||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit is concerned with education issues outside the classroom. The unit takes a global overview of Early Childhood, Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Education. The sociocultural and economic dimensions of all these learners are considered. Through an exploration research from the OECD and UNICEF, we trace influences that have led to educational reforms for learners.
- Students are able to (1) differentiate approaches to educational provision across various international economic regimes; (2) create a policy statement in a selected educational context; (3) analyse and critique issues in policy development in education and a selected level; (4) critique the use of Human Development theory in global educational reform; and (5) critique Australian policy and legal frameworks governing education at a selected level.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) case study and (2) essay. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Gerardine Neylon
- Contact hours
- 24 hours, a total of 150 hours total time commitment
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.