EDUC5616 International and Comparative Education
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit includes specific studies of education in England, the USA, South Africa, Southeast Asia and Australia based on the premise that the main determinants that shape any educational system are history and culture.
- Students are able to (1) broaden their educational perspectives; (2) gain a deeper understanding of the concept of comparative education and of the forces that have shaped several national systems of education; and (3) gain a deeper understanding of selected contemporary problems.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) an oral presentation during the semester and (2) an essay to be submitted at the end of the unit. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Tom O'Donoghue
- Contact hours
- lectures/seminars: 2.5 hours per week (for 10 weeks)
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.