ENSC3020 Digital Embedded Systems
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the Electrical specialisation in the Engineering Science major sequence
- Level 3 core unit in the Software Engineering specialisation in the Engineering Science major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Mathematical and Physical Sciences
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Topics include digital systems and switching networks, Boolean algebra, logic gates, combinational logic, programmable logic devices; flip-flops, counters, shift registers; sequential logic design, state machines, function units; structured central processing unit (CPU) design; microprocessors and programming; instrumentation—sensors, actuators, digital and analogue input/output, motor drivers, shaft encoders; standard interfaces and protocols; architecture and programming of embedded processors, and hands-on experience with embedded system design.
- Students are able to (1) design and build combinational and sequential logic circuits for digital systems of moderate complexity; (2) design a CPU from digital components as a building block; (3) design and develop embedded systems including interfacing sensors and actuators; (4) design software for embedded systems; (5) identify the appropriate type of digital implementation technology for a given task, with an appreciation of its advantages and limitations; and (6) work effectively in a team.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) laboratories; (2) group project; and (3) examinations. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Thomas Braunl
- Unit rules
- completion of 18 points of the Level 1 and Level 2 units taken from the degree-specific Engineering Science major including (ENSC2003 Engineering Electrical Fundamentals
(CITS2401 Computer Analysis and Visualisation
CITS1001 Software Engineering with Java
- Advisable prior study:
- ENSC2003 Engineering Electrical Fundamentals
- ELEC4403 Digital and Embedded Systems
- Students commencing Engineering Science prior to 2017 and who intend to specialise in Electrical and Electronic Engineering should not take this unit as the content is covered in the MPE.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.