HLTH5524 HDR Prelim Dissertation in Health Science Part 2
- 12 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit comprises the second 12 points of at least 24 points of research preparation in medical science to facilitate enrolment in a Higher Degree by Research, and represents the equivalent of half of one semester of full-time study. It is expected the preparation be undertaken in one of the health or medicine disciplines within the Faculty. The research preparation must be completed over subsequent adjacent semesters.
This unit involves original research by the student under supervision. The unit requires students to be able to define a project and develop research questions or hypotheses, set objectives and aims, plan and execute the research, interpret the results and present those results in oral and written forms. The final output of the research project will be a research dissertation similar in content and context to a peer reviewed research article in an academic journal, or other academic writing, in the discipline of the research.
In all cases, the topic of the dissertation, the research plan and its points value (24, 36 or 48), must be approved by the Head of the School, Head of Division or Graduate Research Coordinator of the supervising academic before commencement.
- Students are able to (1) apply research skills to gather background information relevant to a predefined field of enquiry; (2) critically assess the relevant literature; (3) plan and prepare a literature review and research proposal outlining the project; (4) conduct research to collect relevant data involving primary and secondary sources as appropriate; (5) explore the data utilising appropriate means of qualitative and/or quantitative analysis; (6) report the provisional results of their research in a short oral presentation; (7) report the results in a professional academic manner in the format of an academic journal paper, or formal dissertation; and (8) apply their understanding of how research ethics inform practical research work, to their research project.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) research proposal; (2) research seminar; and (3) research dissertation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the research proposal component.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Julie Saunders
- Unit rules
- HLTH5512 HDR Prelim Dissertation in Health Science Part 1
- Contact hours
- Self directed learning and regular contact with project supervisor/s to total approximately 300 hours, about 18 hours each week across the semester.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.